- Curated monthly experiences
- Free shipping on member experiences
- 15% discount on all site offers
- Pause or skip anytime
- Membership starts at $36 per month
How to Eat Caviar Lime
Few fruits are more fun than the finger lime, or as most people call them, the caviar lime. The first time you taste a caviar lime can be simply described as: Bladow!! The crunchy, caviar-like pearls of sour-tart juice explode when you eat them, making every taste of caviar lime a thrilling experience. We’ll teach you how to eat these chili-shaped microcitrus in no time!
Once there’s a bowl of caviar limes in your kitchen, you’re likely to start putting its pearls of pulp on just about everything. In its native Australia, caviar lime is known to be a top-notch topper of almost anything edible. Try caviar lime in any recipe where a squeeze of fresh citrus flavor is needed. Top your avocado toast with bright and crunchy caviar pearls, enjoy them in salads, salsas, dressings, over fresh seafood, refreshing drinks, desserts and sweets.
How to prepare your caviar lime will depend on the recipe you’re using. However, the caviar inside finger limes is very easy to extract from the peel. Here’s how:
Slicing A Caviar Lime
Here are some of the easiest, most common ways of how to slice a caviar lime:
- Cut the caviar lime in half at the width. Then, from the bottom of each half, gently squeeze the tiny bubbles of citrusy juice into a small bowl.
- Slice the caviar lime in half longways. Using a small spoon, scoop the juice vesicles out of the rind and into a bowl (or over just about anything you’re currently eating).
- For round garnishes of caviar lime, slice into ¼ inch slices along the width of the fruit.
Zesting Caviar Lime
If you want to use the herbaceously bitter, and citrusy flavor of caviar lime peel in your recipes, carefully zest the peel using a fine microplane before cutting it open. Each caviar lime yields about ¼ teaspoon (a tiny amount) of zest.
Cooking Caviar Lime
The caviar lime is well loved for the crunchy explosion of citrusy juice you experience when you eat it. That makes caviar lime best as an ingredient in recipes where it can shine in its raw form.
Here are just a few ways you can use caviar lime in cooked dishes:
- Dessert creams: when your dessert needs a ray of citrusy sunshine, fold the caviar lime pearls into whipped cream, light frostings and pastry cream.
- Ceviche: In ceviche recipes, the acid of the flavorful liquid “cooks” fish and seafood. Because the juice is released when you bite into the pearls, caviar lime is an excellent addition to ceviche for flavor and texture.
- Finishing touches: The unique citrus flavor of caviar lime is excellent over barbequed oysters, grilled chicken and delicately seared seafood (hello scallop, lobster, shrimp and fish recipes!).
Drinking Caviar Lime
This is no ordinary lime. Good news for refreshing drink fans, caviar lime is perfect for beverage recipes of all kinds, including cocktails and kid-friendly spritzers.
Here are some easy ways get the explosion of caviar lime flavor into your drinks:
- Cocktails: Pearls of caviar lime add a touch of whimsy and a ton of flavor to delicate cocktails. Caviar lime is a mixologists dream, adding texture and bitter freshness to countless cocktail recipes.
- Juices: You won’t have to run the citrusy caviar through the juicer. Simply squeeze a whole or half caviar lime’s pulp into your glass of fresh juice. Caviar lime tends to play well with other produce like cucumber, strawberry, watermelon, ginger, and mango.
- Water: Unleash a few caviar limes into your water bottle for a delightful thirst quencher throughout the day.
To start getting culinary with caviar lime, check out our recipes for Cranberry Caviar Lime Spritzer with Prosecco, creamy caviar lime peanut sauce, mini cauliflower crust avocado pizza with sweet potatoes and caviar limes, and the merry & bright cocktail.
We hope you feel like a caviar lime eating expert now! Show us your favorite ways to prepare and eat caviar lime by tagging us @Fruitstandcom in your culinary masterpieces on Instagram!