Need a dessert you can whip up in a jiffy and know it’s going to be a crowd-pleaser? Then look no further than our apple crumble.
Two layers are all you need to prep: the sweet apple filling and the buttery crumble topping. Use whatever apples are your favorite like gala, granny or golden delicious. If you like a more tart crumble, definitely give the granny apples a go.
But if you like your crumble on the sweeter side, gala apples are perfection! Top with vanilla bean ice cream for creaminess and you’ll be in heaven.
Apple Crumble Recipe
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Bake Time: 35-40 minutes
- Servings: 8
- Good for: kid-friendly, desserts, parties
- Difficulty: easy
Fall spiced apple filling topped with a buttery pecan and oat crumble will become a favorite go-to fall dessert. Enjoy with vanilla bean ice cream for a delicious fall dessert.
For the filling:
- 5 medium apples peeled and sliced
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ⅓ cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon flour
For the crumble topping:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- ⅔ cup packed brown sugar
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- 5 quart baking dish
Prepare the filling:
- Peel and core the apples. Slice the apples thin about a ¼ of an inch thick. If you prefer your apples with more crunch and texture, slice them ½ an inch thick.
- Next, add your lemon juice to the apples and stir to coat all the slices to help prevent them from browning.
- Add the brown sugar, flour, vanilla extract, cinnamon and cloves. Mix well to evenly coat the apples.
- Pour into a greased baking dish.
Prepare the crumble topping:
- In a mixing bowl add the flour, oats, pecans, brown sugar, cinnamon and salt.
- Pour the melted butter on top and mix well.
- Spread the topping over the apples.
Bake the apple crumble:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake the dish for 35-40 minutes or until the crumble is golden brown.
- Allow it to cool for 15 minutes before serving.
Allow the apple crumble to sit for a good 15 minutes before serving to help the juices thicken up. Although, we admit the waiting is the hardest part!
Serve the apple crumble with a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream or whipped cream. Grab a spoon and dig in!
Nutritional Information for One Serving:
- Calories: 380
- Total Fat: 15g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 30mg
- Sodium: 115mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 61g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Total Sugars: 37g - Includes 27g Added Sugars
- Protein: 4g
- Vitamin D: 0mcg
- Calcium: 60mg
- Iron: 1.7mg
- Potassium: 170mg
Don’t forget to show us how you’re making your apple crumble on Instagram @FruitStandcom! Nothing makes us happier than when we see you enjoying your fruit. Each time you share your FruitStand experience, you’re supporting small farmers and helping other fruit geeks discover rare and delicious produce sustainably. Try even more apple recipes from your FruitStand fam on our blog!