Blood Orange Hot Toddy
Posted by nick musica on
We believe everyone should have a hot toddy recipe in their back pocket. That’s because hot toddies are one of the easiest cocktails to make, and it’s a proper drink that anyone can get behind. Hot toddies are a humble beverage that provides soothing respite for sore throats, and helps you settle in from a long day in the cold. Because blood oranges are so dang packed with antioxidants and have such a special tart flavor, we thought they belonged in our very own hot toddy recipe. In addition to the earthy citrus flavor of blood orange, we added fragrant black tea and spicy clove for a fully immersive hot toddy experience.
Certainly, the foundation of any respectable hot toddy is good whiskey, hot water and honey. Over time, hot toddy recipes evolved to include other creative ingredients like teas, citrus, spices and other kinds of sweetener like maple syrup or sugar. FruitStand’s blood orange hot toddy is a warm and potent, crimson-hued tea that’ll make you want to wrap yourself in your fluffiest comforter with a good book.
Enjoy this blood orange hot toddy responsibly before settling in for the evening or with friends around the fireplace.
BLOOD ORANGE HOT TODDY RECIPE
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Servings: 1
- Good for: feeling better, contains alcohol, vegan options
- Difficulty: easy
This rustic hot toddy will cure what ails you. One blood orange used three ways, a tea bag, some spice cabinet essentials and a splash of whiskey transform into a hot toddy that warms you to the core and makes everything feel better.
Try your favorite rye or bourbon instead of Irish whiskey, or hold the hooch for an alcohol-free take on this comforting brew. Add even more warm spices like cinnamon or ginger to wake up your senses, or use maple syrup instead of honey for a sweet vegan twist.
- 6 ounces hot water
- 1½ ounces Irish whiskey
- 1 ounce fresh blood orange juice
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 bag black tea
- Measuring cup
- Measuring spoon
- Citrus juicer, press or your squeaky clean hands
- Small chef knife
- Cutting board
- Stovetop or electric water kettle
- 12 ounce glass mug
Prepare the Ingredients:
- Heat the water until very hot, but not boiling. While the water heats, prepare the blood orange.
- Slice the blood orange in half around the circumference of the fruit. Cut one round, ¼ inch slice of blood orange from one of the halves. Insert a whole clove into the rind, then add the second clove on the opposite side of the blood orange slice, and set aside.
- Juice the remaining sections of blood orange. Discard the rinds and set juice aside.
Prepare the Cocktail:
- Put the tea bag into the glass mug, then add the hot water. Allow to steep for one to two minutes, then remove the tea bag.
- Add honey and stir until it melts into the brewed tea.
- Add the fresh blood orange juice and whiskey to the mug and stir to combine.
- Place the clove-studded blood orange slice into the hot beverage and serve immediately.
Fresh is always best. But if you plan to serve blood orange hot toddies to a crowd après ski, you can prepare the garnish and some ingredients earlier in the day. Simply combine the whiskey, juice and honey in an airtight container. Keep the drink mixture and garnish in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Show us who you’re making this fruity hot toddy for on Instagram @FruitStandcom! Nothing makes us happier than when we see you enjoying your fruit. Each time you share your FruitStand experience, you’re supporting small farmers and helping other fruit geeks discover rare and delicious produce sustainably. Try even more blood orange recipes from your FarmStand fam on our blog!