These apples are in bloom! Literally - they’re bloomin’ and ready for enjoying. Make these pastry apple blossoms for your next gathering or brunch. They’re a fun sweet treat to serve up and will absolutely impress your guests!
The best part is they aren’t’ hard to make. Just spread a little spiced butter on the dough, layer your apple slices, roll the dough and bake! Super simple and super delish.
You could swap out the spiced butter for your favorite jam or even apple butter for more apple flavor. Sprinkle the blooms with a dusting of powdered sugar and bon appetite!
Bloomin' Apples Recipe
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Bake Time: 35-38 minutes
- Servings: 5
- Good for: kid-friendly, desserts, parties
- Difficulty: easy
These bloomin’ apples are easy to make to serve up as a fun and tasty treat! Use red apples to get the pretty color poppin’ out from the blossom.
- 1 thawed pie crust
- 4 small red apples thinly sliced
- 4 cups water
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ tablespoon flour
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Cutting board
- Mixing bowl
- Pastry brush
- Muffin tin
Prepare the pie dough:
- Thaw one 9x9 pie crust and cut into five 2-inch strips.
- In a small mixing bowl add the melted butter, brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg and whisk until smooth.
- Brush onto each strip of dough.
Prepare the apples:
- Thinly slice the apples about an ⅛ of an inch thick and add to a mixing bowl filled with the water and lemon juice.
- Microwave the apple slices for 1-2 minutes on high to help the apples soften.
- Overlap the apple slices on the coated dough strips.
- Roll the dough to form a flower and place in a greased muffin tin.
Bake the apples:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake the apples for 35-38 minutes or until just a hint of golden brown appears on the outside of the dough.
- Check on the pastries around the 25 minutes mark and if you see the apple slices starting to burn, cover them with foil and continue baking.
- Let cool for 15 minutes before taking out of the muffin tin.
- Dust with powdered sugar if desired - enjoy warm!
Serve these bloomin’ apples at your next brunch with friends or family gathering. They also make a great addition to bridal or baby showers.
Enjoy alongside your favorite cup of joe and ease into your morning with these delicious pastries. Show us how you’re enjoying your bloomin’ apples on social!
Nutritional Information for One Serving:
- Calories: 340
- Total Fat: 17g
- Saturated Fat: 7g
- Trans Fat: 1.5g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Sodium: 230mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 46g
- Dietary Fiber: 4g
- Total Sugars: 19g - Includes 3g Added Sugars
- Protein: 2g
- Vitamin D: 0mcg
- Calcium: 20mg
- Iron: 0.7mg
- Potassium: 180mg
Don’t forget to show us how you’re making your bloomin' apples on Instagram @FruitStandcom! Nothing makes us happier than when we see you enjoying your fruit. Each time you share your FruitStand experience, you’re supporting small farmers and helping other fruit geeks discover rare and delicious produce sustainably. Try even more apple recipes from your FruitStand fam on our blog!