Grilled Passion Fruit Chicken
Posted by nick musica on
Do you love passion fruit and want to know how to cook with it? Maybe you’ve never tried passion fruit and want to know how to use it in different recipes.
Passion fruit is a versatile produce (it’s actually a berry) that can be added to sweet and savory dishes. Passion fruit is popular in cakes, pastries and desserts aplenty. You’ll find passion fruit pulp and puree in juices, drinks and smoothies. While it’s delicious raw, it’s common to find passion fruit featured in recipes for sauces, seafoods and meats as well.
If you’re anything like us over at FruitStand, you’re never too far from your grill (or a giant bowl of exotic fruits) in the summer. With summer being the prime passion fruit season, we think you’ll love this grilled passion fruit chicken recipe! If this is your first time trying passion fruit in a recipe, you’re in for a real treat. This passion fruit marinade will infuse chicken (or pork, or shrimp) with a tangy tropical sweetness that’s brightened up with lime, rounded out with garlic and accented by the savory umami of soy sauce.
GRILLED PASSION FRUIT CHICKEN RECIPE
- Serves 4
- Preparation time: 15 mins
- Total time: 90 mins
You can use this passion fruit chicken on top of salads, over rice and vegetables or grilled on simple wooden skewers. Plus, this easy passion fruit marinade pairs just as well with pork and with seafood like shrimp.
You’ll love the tangy, savory-sweetness of grilled passion fruit chicken! Adults and kids will love this crowd-pleasing chicken recipe made with fresh, ripe passion fruit. That’s what makes this passion fruit recipe perfect for any weeknight dinner or weekend cookout.
- 2 passion fruits, pulp reserved and peel discarded
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breast
- kosher kalt and black pepper, to taste
- chef’s knife
- cutting board
- container with airtight lid
- A screaming hot grill
Prepare the marinade
- Wisk the passion fruit pulp, garlic, lime juice, soy sauce, olive oil, salt and pepper together in the bowl until combined.
- Season the chicken breast on both sides with salt and pepper, then place into the bowl with the marinade. Coat the chicken in the passion fruit mixture and let it marinate in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to one hour. Consider making yourself a passion fruit daiquiri to pass the time.
- After an hour, remove chicken from the refrigerator and let it come to room temperature for about 15 minutes before cooking.
Grill the chicken
- Remove the chicken from the marinade and carefully place on the hot grill.
- Grill on each side for about 7-8 minutes or until a meat thermometer reads the internal temperature of the chicken at 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Let the chicken rest for about five minutes before serving
Serve this chicken alongside your favorite grilled summer vegetables, in a warm rice bowl or over a fresh salad. Leftover grilled passion fruit chicken can be stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator for two to three days.
How did you like making this grilled passion fruit chicken recipe? So show us how you enjoy your FruitStand delivery by mentioning us @FruitStandcom on Instagram to be featured in our stories!