Ever grilled fruit before? The caramelization and smokiness give the fruit a whole new flavor profile. It’s often done for desserts, but why not beverages too!
This interesting and tasty cocktail is perfect for days when you already have the grill fired up. The grilled rambutan caramelizes and offers a sweet and smoky flavor to this drink. You and your friends will love the novelty of something new, and the fact that it's absolutely delicious is an added bonus. Cheers! And happy grilling!
Grilled Rambutan Cocktail Recipe
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Servings: 2
- Good for: contains alcohol, parties, gluten-free, vegan
- Difficulty: medium
Super sweet rambutan becomes caramelized goodness on the grill. Muddled with orange and lemon notes for added sweetness and poured into a glass with a paprika salt for added smokiness!
- 8 rambutan peeled
- 4 ounces white rum
- 2 ounces triple sec
- 1-ounce fresh lemon juice
- 1-ounce simple syrup
- 2 teaspoons coarse salt for rimming the glasses
- 2 teaspoons paprika for rimming the glasses
- Cutting board
- 2 skewers
- Cocktail shaker
- Shot glass or jigger
- Measuring spoons
- Small plate for rimming the glass
- Two glasses
Rim the glasses:
- On a small plate mix the coarse salt and paprika together.
- Wipe a lemon wedge over the glass rim and gently roll the glass over the salt to coat well.
Grill the rambutan:
- Heat the grill to medium-high heat.
- Slice the rambutan in half and remove the peel from the flesh.
- Poke each skewer through 4 peeled rambutans avoiding the seed in the middle.
- Grill for 1-2 minutes on each side or until you get grill marks.
Prepare the cocktail shaker:
- In a cocktail shaker muddle the grilled rambutan to release the juice and to separate the seed from the fruit.
- Add the white rum, triple sec, lemon juice, and simple syrup. Fill with ice and shake well.
- Fill the two salted glasses with ice cubes and pour the drink over ice. Garnish with a lemon slice and enjoy!
Serve these cocktails along with your favorite cookout meal or barbeque. The paprika brings out the smokiness of the grilled rambutan, so you’ll get sweet and smoky flavors with every sip.
Garnish with a lemon slice or extra rambutan. Make a slice on the side of the rambutan to help it sit on the glass or poke it through a toothpick!
Nutritional Information for One Cocktail:
- Calories: 300
- Total Fat: 0g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 0mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 29g
- Dietary Fiber: 0g
- Total Sugars: 26g - Includes 14g Added Sugars
- Protein: 0g
- Vitamin D: 0mcg
- Calcium: 10mg
- Iron: 0.2mg
- Potassium: 30mg
Don’t forget to show us how you’re making your rambutan cocktail on Instagram @FruitStandcom! Nothing makes us happier than when we see you enjoying your fruit. Each time you share your FruitStand experience, you’re supporting small farmers and helping other fruit geeks discover rare and delicious produce sustainably. Try even more rambutan recipes from your FruitStand fam on our blog!