There's nothing quite like biting into a hot homemade apple pie topped with vanilla ice cream. This apple pie, though, is a little different in that it's made with Hawaiian mountain apples, which are a bit smaller and more floral in flavor than their more common counterparts.
Top the apple pie filling with a beautiful lattice crust and you have everything for an extraordinary dessert experience. Lattice crusts look hard to create, but really it just takes a little bit of extra time.
If you're looking for a more traditional apple pie using your Hawaiian mountain apples, you can easily substitute the filling for any other apple pie filling recipe. Enjoy!
Hawaiian Mountain Apple Lattice Pie Recipe
- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Bake Time: 50-55 minutes
- Servings: 8
- Good for: kid-friendly, desserts, parties
- Difficulty: easy
Warm pie made with sweet floral apples and a lattice pie crusts creates the perfect after dinner dessert to serve up to guests.
- 1 double 9inch pie crust
- 3 pounds peeled and thinly sliced Hawaiian mountain apples
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- Cutting board
- Mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- 9inch pie dish
Prepare the filling:
- Peel and core the apples. Slice them ¼ of an inch thick and add to a mixing bowl.
- Add the brown sugar, flour, lemon juice, vanilla extract, cinnamon and nutmeg to the apples and mix well.
Prepare the lattice dough:
- Roll the dough out and cut it into 12 1inch strips.
- Lay the first layer of 6 dough strips across the pie.
- Pull the dough back on every other one to lay one strip of dough underneath it going the opposite direction.
- Lay the first layer of dough back again so that it’s on top.
- Repeat this process with the remaining dough strips until you finish your lattice pie crust.
- Pinch the dough hanging off the edges of the pie pan to create a crust.
- Mix the beaten egg and milk together to create an egg wash and brush it over the dough. Sprinkle sugar on top before baking.
Bake the pie:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake the pie for 50-55 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
Pie and ice cream is always a winning combo. Top your slice of pie with ice cream or whipped cream for an extra touch of rich creaminess.
Nutritional Information for One Serving:
- Calories: 400
- Total Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 240mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 67g
- Dietary Fiber: 3g
- Total Sugars: 33g - Includes 13g Added Sugars
- Protein: 3g
- Vitamin D: 0mcg
- Calcium: 30mg
- Iron: 0.9mg
- Potassium: 220mg
Don’t forget to show us how you’re making your Hawaiian mountain apple lattice pie on Instagram @FruitStandcom! Nothing makes us happier than when we see you enjoying your fruit. Each time you share your FruitStand experience, you’re supporting small farmers and helping other fruit geeks discover rare and delicious produce sustainably. Try even more Hawaiian mountain apple recipes from your FruitStand fam on our blog!