Fresh heart of palm boast a nutty, mild flavor with a very satisfying crunch. They are literally the shoots of peach palm trees that are harvested and ready to eat.
These heart of palm fries are a perfect way to have a bit of fun and still get the amazing flavor of this delicacy. They're sure to be a favorite with your family and friends. And the chipotle mayo will leave you looking for things around your house to dip after you've polished off the fries.
The original recipe calls for canned heart of palm, but is made even better by substituting with fresh heart of palm.
Heart of Palm Fries and Chipotle Mayo Recipe
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 4
- Good for: kid-friendly, snacks, parties, sides
- Difficulty: easy
Dunk these crispy heart of palm fries in our spicy chipotle mayo sauce for a delicious snack or side to a burger or sandwich. The sauce is only 4 simple ingredients and packs a punch!
Heart of Palm Fries
- 28 oz container canned palm of heart in brine, drained and quartered
- 1 cups plain bread crumbs
- ½ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 beaten eggs
- ¼ cup milk
- ½ cup mayo
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- Cutting board
- Food processor
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Two mixing bowls
- Baking sheet
Make the chipotle mayo:
- In a food processor add the mayo, sour cream, chipotle pepper and lime juice.
- Blend until smooth and scoop into a serving container.
Prepare the heart of palm:
- Slice each heart of palm into quarters.
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs and milk.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour, bread crumbs, garlic powder and salt.
- For each sliced heart of palm, dunk in the egg mixture first and then generously coat it in the breading bowl.
- Place the heart of palm fries on an oiled baking sheet.
- Spray the wedges with avocado oil or another cooking oil before baking.
Bake the heart of palm fries:
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Bake for 10 minutes on one side. Flip and bake for another 10 minutes.
- Serve with the chipotle mayo sauce.
Serve up these crispy heart of palm fries as a side to a main meal like a wrap, burger or sandwich. They make a perfect addition to a spread of food on game days or other gatherings.
For garnish, top the chipotle mayo sauce with a sprinkle of paprika for added smokiness!
Nutritional Information for One Serving:
- Calories: 480
- Total Fat: 29g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 115mg
- Sodium: 1660mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 44g
- Dietary Fiber: 7g
- Total Sugars: 7g - Includes <1g Added Sugars
- Protein: 14g
- Vitamin D: 0.7mcg
- Calcium: 210mg
- Iron: 8.9mg
- Potassium: 510mg
Don’t forget to show us how you’re making your heart of palm fries on Instagram @FruitStandcom! Nothing makes us happier than when we see you enjoying your fruit. Each time you share your FruitStand experience, you’re supporting small farmers and helping other fruit geeks discover rare and delicious produce sustainably. Try even more heart of palm recipes from your FruitStand fam on our blog!