This cocktail is sure to be the hit of your next cocktail night. Using fresh thyme and kumquats is the perfect way to impress your guests and your taste buds.
Coat the rim with sugar and fresh thyme for an extra touch of sweetness. If you love the tartness of gin and tonics, you’ll love the orange flavors in this cocktail. You can use any citrus in the recipe, but the tartness of the kumquats is a unique flavor you won't find anywhere else.
Serve these at your next brunch with friends or just to enjoy when you need a zesty drink - cheers!
Kumquat & Thyme Cocktail Recipe
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Servings: 1
- Good for: contains alcohol, beverages, parties, gluten-free, vegan
- Difficulty: easy
Sweet citrus and thyme-infused simple syrup blend into a delicious and refreshing cocktail. If you aren’t a fan of tonic water, try substituting club soda instead.
For the cocktail
- 5 chopped kumquats
- 5 ounces gin
- 1 ounce thyme-infused simple syrup
- Tonic water
- Kumquat slices for garnish
For the thyme-infused simple syrup
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ water
- 15 sprigs of thyme
For the thyme sugar rim
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 teaspoons fresh thyme leaves
- Cutting board
- Shot glass or jigger
- Small saucepan
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
Make the sugar thyme rim:
- Mix the sugar and thyme on a small plate.
- Rub a slice of kumquat on the rim of the glass and coat the glass in the sugar thyme mixture.
Make the thyme-infused simple syrup:
- In a small saucepan over medium-low heat bring the water and sugar to a gentle boil.
- Stir until all the sugar is dissolved.
- Take the pan off the heat and add the thyme.
- Let the syrup cool and thyme infuse for 15 minutes.
- Remove the thyme and pour the syrup into a storage container.
Prepare the cocktail:
- Fill the sugar-coated cocktail glass with ice cubes.
- In a cocktail shaker muddle the chopped kumquats.
- Add the gin, thyme-infused simple syrup and ice.
- Shake well and pour into the ice-filled cocktail glass.
- Top with tonic water and garnish with kumquat slices.
Serve this drink up for a refreshingly sweet cocktail. The hint of thyme adds lovely notes to the bright citrus flavor.
Make this your new go-to drink when you want a change-up from the classic gin and tonic. The zesty and bright flavors are sure to be a hit!
Nutritional Information for One Drink:
- Calories: 270
- Total Fat: 1g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 20mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 42g
- Dietary Fiber: 6g
- Total Sugars: 36g - Includes 26g Added Sugars
- Protein: 2g
- Vitamin D: 0mcg
- Calcium: 60mg
- Iron: 0.8mg
- Potassium: 180mg
Don’t forget to show us how you’re making your kumquat & thyme cocktail on Instagram @FruitStandcom! Nothing makes us happier than when we see you enjoying your fruit. Each time you share your FruitStand experience, you’re supporting small farmers and helping other fruit geeks discover rare and delicious produce sustainably. Try even more kumquat recipes from your FruitStand fam on our blog!