Ok, I know what you are thinking, "What's a Pavlova and why would I eat anything with "curd" in it?" (see what I did there? a quote inside a quote - it's like the fourth wall of grammar).
Trust me, these are amazing. They have meringue - check. They have caviar limes - check. They have fun words - PAVLOVA – check, check.
Give them a go and come back to let us know what you think.
Mini Pavlovas Recipe
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Bake Time: 1hr 20 minutes
- Servings: 6
- Good for: baking, dessert, parties, gluten-free
- Difficulty: medium
6 mini pavlovas filled with lime curd and topped with whipped cream and caviar limes sounds like a dream. Crisp sugary sweetness on the outside and sweet marshmallow softness on the inside is what we got with this dreamy dessert!
For the Meringue
- 4 room temperature egg whites
- 1 cup superfine sugar (or pulse granulated sugar in a food processor)
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
For the Lime Curd
- 4 egg yolks
- ½ cup sugar
- ⅓ cup lime juice
- 1 tablespoon lime zest
- 4 tablespoons cubed unsalted butter
For the Topping
- Whipping cream
- 4-6 caviar limes
- Standing Mixer
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Piping bag and star tip
- Baking sheet
- Parchment paper
- Small pot
- Two bowls for separating the egg yolk and white
- Container for lime curd
Make the meringue:
- Whip room temperature egg whites and lemon juice to soft peaks on medium-high speed (about 3 minutes).
- Gradually add superfine sugar 1 tablespoon at a time beating for 15 secs in between additions.
- Continue beating on high speed until stiff glossy peaks form.
- Then beat in the cornstarch and vanilla extract.
- Once mixed together, transfer to a piping bag fitted with a star tip.
Prepare the pavlovas for baking:
- Move the oven rack to a lower level and preheat the oven to 200 degrees Fareinheight.
- Pipe meringue on a lined baking sheet into 6 3-inch pies, leaving a divot in the center.
- Bake for 1hr 20mins. After baking, turn the oven off and keep the meringue in the oven for an hour.
Make the lime curd:
- In a saucepan over low heat, whisk together the sugar, lime juice and zest. Then add in the egg yolks and mix together.
- Once the sugar dissolves (about 2 minutes) add the cubed butter.
- Gradually increase the heat to medium and continue whisking the mixture until it thickens (about 10 minutes). Don’t let the mixture boil.
- Once the mixture has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon, take the pan off the heat.
- Strain the mixture through a colander into a glass container.
- Let the lime curd cool before spooning into the 6 mini pavlovas.
Assemble the mini pavlovas:
- Spoon a few tablespoons of the lime curd into the center of the baked meringue.
- Add a dollop of whipped cream on top and sprinkle with caviar lime pearls.
Serve these light, airy pavlovas for dessert or enjoy with a weekend brunch. Serve with ice cream on the side or top with more fresh fruit.
Eat within 3 days to enjoy the meringue at its optimal fluffy, airy texture!
Nutritional Information for One Mini Pavlova:
- Calories: 320
- Total Fat: 11g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 145mg
- Sodium: 50mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 53g
- Dietary Fiber: 0g
- Total Sugars: 50g - Includes 50g Added Sugars
- Protein: 4g
- Vitamin D: 0.7mcg
- Calcium: 20mg
- Iron: 0.6mg
- Potassium: 70mg
Don’t forget to show us how you’re making your mini pavlovas with caviar limes on Instagram @FruitStandcom! Nothing makes us happier than when we see you enjoying your fruit. Each time you share your FruitStand experience, you’re supporting small farmers and helping other fruit geeks discover rare and delicious produce sustainably. Try even more caviar lime recipes from your FruitStand fam on our blog!