Got a seafood lover in your life? Cook up this mussels dish for an easy and delicious meal. The buttery garlic and wine sauce with a touch of red pepper flakes and lemon juice for bright zest and spice is one you can’t pass up.
Make sure to grab yourself a loaf of crusty bread, preferably one with garlic cloves, for dipping in the flavorful broth.
This dish cooks very quickly once all the prep work is done, so get ready for a flavorful meal!
Mussels in Garlic and Wine Sauce Recipe
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 7 minutes
- Servings: 3
- Good for: seafood, main meals, appetizers, parties, gluten-free
- Difficulty: easy
The rich and savory garlic and wine broth these mussels are cooked in is one you won’t forget. Serve these mussels up as an appetizer or make it into the main meal with pasta and sauteed spinach.
- 5 pounds live mussels
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 2 minced cloves of garlic
- ¼ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Cutting board
- Large saucepan with a lid
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
Prepare the mussels:
- Discard any mussels that are dead. Their shell will be open and remain open if you apply pressure. If you apply pressure and the shell closes then the mussel is still alive and good to use in the recipe.
- Rinse and scrub the mussels under cold running water in a colander to remove the beards or use a knife to cut them off the shells.
Cook the mussels:
- In a large saucepan over low-medium heat melt the butter and saute the onions until translucent - about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and red pepper flakes and saute an additional one minute.
- Stir in the wine and lemon juice. Turn the heat up to medium-high and bring the sauce up to a boil.
- Once the sauce is boiling add the mussels. Cover and cook for 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes the mussels should all be open and be done cooking. If not, cook covered for an additional minute and check again.
- Discard any mussels that don’t open after cooking.
- Pour the broth and mussels into two bowls and serve with crusty garlic bread to soak up the broth.
Enjoy the mussels as is in a bowl with bread for soaking up the delicious garlic and wine broth or serve it on a bed of spaghetti and sauteed spinach for a pasta and seafood dinner.
Serve with your favorite dry white wine and bon appétit!
Nutritional Information for One Serving:
- Calories: 270
- Total Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 8g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
- Sodium: 210mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 8g
- Dietary Fiber: 0g
- Total Sugars: 2g - Includes 0g Added Sugars
- Protein: 14g
- Vitamin D: 0mcg
- Calcium: 30mg
- Iron: 3.9mg
- Potassium: 190mg
Don’t forget to show us how you’re making your mussels in garlic and wine sauce on Instagram @FruitStandcom! Nothing makes us happier than when we see you enjoying your fruit. Each time you share your FruitStand experience, you’re supporting small farmers and helping other fruit geeks discover rare and delicious produce sustainably. Try even more garlic recipes from your FruitStand fam on our blog!