What if you could take the amazing, tropical taste of passion fruit and combine it with the soft, melt in your mouth texture of a lemon bar? Do I have your attention yet? Dig in! (and save some to share).
If you love the sweet and tart flavor of passion fruit, you’re going to love these bars! They’re made with fresh passion fruit pulp and just a drop of lemon juice for a little zing. Top these passion fruit squares with powdered sugar to finish off these fluffy, sweet treats.
Passion Fruit Bars Recipe
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Bake Time: 40 minutes
- Servings: 16 bars
- Good for: kid-friendly, dessert, parties, gluten-free
- Difficulty: medium
With our buttery almond crust, these passion fruit bars are gluten-free and still provide that rich shortbread texture. Enjoy these sweet and tangy passion fruit bars with a cup of coffee in the morning or heck whenever you need a pick me up!
For the crust
- 2 cups almond flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons cold unsalted butter
For the filling:
- 1 ¼ cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons almond flour
- ⅔ cup passion fruit pulp
- 4 room temperature large eggs
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- Cutting board
- Food processor
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- 8x8 baking pan
Prepare the crust:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and move the oven rack to the middle.
- Lightly grease an 8x8 pan or line it with parchment paper.
- In a food processor, blend the almond flour, sugar and salt.
- Next, dice up the cold butter and add it to the food processor. Pulse until blended into a crumbly mixture.
- Press the crust into the greased or lined baking pan.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes or until the edges turn golden brown.
Prepare the filling
- While the crust bakes, sift the almond flour and sugar in a mixing bowl and whisk together.
- To extract the passion fruit pulp, slice your passion fruit and scoop out the pulp into a blender. Pulse a few times to help the seeds separate from the fruit. Strain over a bowl through a colander to get your passion fruit pulp.
- Add the eggs, passion fruit pulp and lemon juice and whisk until well combined.
- Pour the filling over the hot freshly baked crust and bake an additional 25-30 minutes or until the filling is set and there is just a little jiggle.
- Let the bars cool on the counter for 30 minutes to an hour before refrigerating for 1-2 hours.
- Top the bars with sifted powdered sugar, slice and enjoy!
To get the cleanest cut, refrigerate the bars for a full 1-2 hours first before slicing. Use a clean kitchen knife to make the cuts, wiping the knife clean between each slice.
Serve these bars at brunch with friends or have them made just for yourself when you need a sweet treat!
Nutritional Information for One Serving:
- Calories: 240
- Total Fat: 14g
- Saturated Fat: 3.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 60mg
- Sodium: 55mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 22g
- Dietary Fiber: 2g
- Total Sugars: 19g - Includes 18g Added Sugars
- Protein: 5g
- Vitamin D: 0.3mcg
- Calcium: 50mg
- Iron: 0.8mg
- Potassium: 120mg
Don’t forget to show us how you’re making your passion fruit bars on Instagram @FruitStandcom! Nothing makes us happier than when we see you enjoying your fruit. Each time you share your FruitStand experience, you’re supporting small farmers and helping other fruit geeks discover rare and delicious produce sustainably. Try even more passion fruit recipes from your FruitStand fam on our blog!