Passion Fruit Daiquiri
Posted by nick musica on
When you think of a daiquiri, you might imagine a tall, curvy glass full of frozen pink beverage and a toothpick two stories high with pineapples and maraschino cherries. This is not that.
Originating in Havana, Cuba, the daiquiri is perhaps the most iconic tiki cocktail of all time. Pair that with one of the most classic tropical flavors of all time, passion fruit, and you’re one straw fedora away from a party!
The classic daiquiri is made with just three ingredients: rum, simple syrup and lime, shaken with ice and served neat in a chilled coup. This passion fruit daiquiri recipe gets even more tropical with the addition of fresh passion fruit puree. Fresh passion fruit puree is easy to make, but takes time (and a good amount of fruit) to make a large batch. Often, frozen puree is used. But nothing tastes as authentic and fresh as the real thing.
This recipe can be altered depending on who you’re serving. Because this is essentially one part simple syrup, one part juice and two parts liquor, you can easily scale this recipe up to serve a crowd. You may also replace the alcohol in the passion fruit daiquiri recipe with sparkling water or iced tea as a refreshing mocktail or big kid cooler.
You can make the passion fruit puree and simple syrup the night before serving your cocktail to save time. Store any passion fruit puree or leftover pulp in an airtight container for up to two days. If you had a grog or two the night before and want to skip the puree, feel free to just spoon the pulp directly into the shaker. We won’t judge.
From all of us at FruitStand, we hope you enjoy this tiki-inspired cocktail responsibly from the safety of your own shipwreck, with the best mates around!
PASSION FRUIT DAIQUIRI RECIPE
- Serves 2
- Contains alcohol, gluten free, vegan
- 1 ounce passion fruit pulp or puree (approx. 2-3 passion fruits, recipe to follow)
- ½ ounce fresh lime juice
- 1 ounce simple cane sugar syrup
- 4 ounces blended rum, lightly aged
- Chef knife
- Small mesh sieve
- Small rubber spatula or spoon
- Cocktail shaker
- Two chilled coups
Prepare the passion fruit puree:
- Place a fine mesh sieve over a bowl
- Slice ripe passion fruits in half and scoop the pulp into the sieve
- Using a small rubber spatula or spoon, push the pulp through the mesh to strain the juice and separate the seeds. Reserve the seeds for garnish
Prepare the simple syrup ingredients (makes 1 cup):
- ½ cup raw cane sugar
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup hot water
- In a heat proof container, combine the sugars and hot water and stir until all sugar crystals are completely dissolved. Set aside to cool. This simple syrup will keep for a few weeks in the refrigerator.
Prepare the cocktail:
- Combine the rum, passion fruit puree, lime juice and simple syrup into a cocktail shaker
- Add ice cubes and shake for about 30 seconds until the cocktail is very cold
- Strain the beverage into two chilled coup glasses.
- Flotsam passion fruit seeds on top of the cocktail as garnish and enjoy!
How did you like the passion fruit daiquiri recipe? So show us how you enjoy your FruitStand delivery by mentioning us @FruitStandcom on Instagram to be featured in our stories!