We have the perfect breakfast pick me up, yet! Buttery pastry bites filled with a sweet guava jam are the perfect pastry to go with your morning cup of joe.
Guavas make the perfect jam thanks to their high pectin content, so we’re making a homemade thick and delicious white guava jam. You can also use store-bought jam, but we’re adding a cinnamon stick into the pot for added spice, so homemade is the way to go!
Pastry Bites with White Guava Jam Recipe
- Prep Time: 50 minutes
- Bake Time: 15 minutes
- Servings: 9 pastries
- Good for: kid-friendly, desserts, parties, breakfast, pastries
- Difficulty: easy
Buttery and flakey pastries filled with a creamy and sweet white guava jam and cream cheese creates the perfect pastry for your Sunday morning.
For the pastry bites
- 2 puff pastry sheets
- ½ cup cream cheese
- ½ cup white guava jam
- 1 egg beaten
- 2 tablespoons sugar
For the white guava jam
- ½ lb white guavas chopped (2-3 guavas)
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- 5 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Baking sheet
- parchment paper
- Large pot
- Large bowl
- Measuring spoons
- Measuring cups
- Wooden spoon
- Cutting board
- Container for the jam
Prepare the oven and puff pastry:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Allow the puff pastry dough to thaw at room temperature for 30-40 minutes.
Prepare the white guava jam:
- In a pot, add the chopped white guava including the seeds and peel, water and cinnamon stick. Boil for 10 minutes or until the fruit is soft.
- Using a colander, strain the white guavas and cinnamon stick over a large container. Mash the fruit with a spoon to help release the juice. Discard the seeds and peel left in the colander.
- Pour the white guava juice back into the pot and add in the sugar and lemon juice.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat and continue to stir.
- Once the mixture becomes thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, take it off the heat and let it cool for 10 minutes before pouring it into a container.
Prepare the puff pastries:
- Roll the dough out and cut it into squares around 3” x 3.”
- Lay the cutout dough on the lined baking sheet.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of cream cheese on the center of the dough, leaving ½ inch of space around the edges.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of the guava jam on top of the cream cheese and top with another square dough cutout.
- Crimp together with a fork and cut 3 slits on the top to allow steam to escape.
- Brush the beaten egg over top and sprinkle with sugar.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown on the edges.
If you love these pastry bites as much as we do, try swapping the white guava for one of our other exotic fruits like passion fruit or mango. Exotic fruity puff pastries will be a non-negotiable once you make these!
Nutritional Information for One Pastry:
- Calories: 420
- Total Fat: 26g
- Saturated Fat: 6g
- Trans Fat: 1g
- Cholesterol: 35mg
- Sodium: 190mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 42g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Total Sugars: 13g - Includes 7g Added Sugars
- Protein: 6g
- Vitamin D: 0.1mcg
- Calcium: 30mg
- Iron: 1.6mg
- Potassium: 70mg
Don’t forget to show us how you’re making your pastry bites on Instagram @FruitStandcom! Nothing makes us happier than when we see you enjoying your fruit. Each time you share your FruitStand experience, you’re supporting small farmers and helping other fruit geeks discover rare and delicious produce sustainably. Try even more white guava recipes from your FruitStand fam on our blog!