Juicy, tender chicken breasts marinated in a sweet cara cara orange and spicy marinade makes for a delicious dinner. Prepare the marinade earlier in the day so the chicken absorbs the flavors, and then it’s ready to go for baking when you’re ready for dinner.
The sweet oranges and spicy serrano pepper mixed with all the other seasonings like ginger, lime juice and chili powder add a punch of flavor to the chicken. Add a slice of cara cara orange on top of the chicken as it bakes for extra juicy deliciousness!
The orange slice will soften as it bakes, adding more sweet juicy orange flavor to the chicken.
Spicy Cara Cara Orange Baked Chicken Breasts Recipe
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Marinate Time: 2 hours
- Bake Time: 23-28 minutes
- Servings: 6
- Good for: main meals, dinner, gluten-free
- Difficulty: easy
Chicken baked to tender, juicy perfection and marinated in a sweet orange and spicy marinade makes for a flavorful chicken dinner. Serve with rice and vegetables for a full meal.
- 2 - 2 ½ lbs chicken breast
- ⅓ cup cara cara orange juice
- 1 diced serrano pepper
- 2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cara cara orange sliced for topping the chicken
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Bowl for marinade
- Gallon sized bag
- Baking dish
Prepare the marinade:
- Whisk together the cara cara orange juice, serrano pepper, rice vinegar, olive oil, lime juice, ginger, chili powder and salt.
- In a gallon sized bag add the chicken breast and marinade.
- Seal shut, removing as much as air as possible, and marinate in the refrigerator for 2 hours.
Bake the chicken:
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a foil lined baking pan, place the marinated chicken breasts and top each with a slice of cara cara orange.
- Bake for 23-28 minutes uncovered or until the internal temperature reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit at the thickest part of the chicken.
- Allow the chicken to rest for 10 minutes before slicing into it.
Serve the chicken up with rice or quinoa seasoned with lime juice and ginger for a flavorful side dish along with your favorite vegetable and dinner is served!
Nutritional Information for One Serving:
- Calories: 210
- Total Fat: 4.5g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 100mg
- Sodium: 310mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 2g
- Dietary Fiber: 0g
- Total Sugars: 1g - Includes 0g Added Sugars
- Protein: 40g
- Vitamin D: 0mcg
- Calcium: 0mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Potassium: 40mg
Don’t forget to show us how you’re making your spicy cara cara orange chicken on Instagram @FruitStandcom! Nothing makes us happier than when we see you enjoying your fruit. Each time you share your FruitStand experience, you’re supporting small farmers and helping other fruit geeks discover rare and delicious produce sustainably. Try even more cara cara orange recipes from your FruitStand fam on our blog!