This tropical mint julep recipe is a great way to please the bourbon people in your life as well as those who prefer their cocktails a bit more on the fruity side. You will get to enjoy your star fruit's mellow flavor alongside the sweet and acidic flavor of pineapple in this super fun and refreshing drink.
The star fruit garnish is the perfect topper to this delightful beverage. This one is sure to make it into your cocktail rotation, especially as the holidays roll in.
Starfruit Pineapple Mint Julep Recipe
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Servings: 1
- Good for: contains alcohol, beverages, parties, gluten-free, vegan
- Difficulty: easy
Our fruity twist of a mint julep is one you don’t want to miss. The blend of sweet fruit, refreshing mint and mellow notes of vanilla and caramel from the bourbon blend into a smooth drink that tastes as good as it sounds.
- 5 large mint leaves
- 2 ounces bourbon
- 1 ounce starfruit pineapple puree
- ½ ounce mint simple syrup
- Crushed ice
- Mint leaves for garnish
- Fresh pineapple for garnish
- Fresh starfruit for garnish
For the Mint Simple Syrup
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup sugar
- 10 large mint leaves
For the Starfruit Pineapple Puree
- ½ cup chopped fresh pineapple
- ½ cup chopped fresh starfruit
- Cutting board
- Shot glass or jigger
- Measuring cups
- Small saucepan
Prepare the mint simple syrup:
- In a small saucepan, bring the water and sugar to a gentle simmer over medium heat.
- Whisk until the sugar dissolves and then add the mint leaves.
- Simmer together for 1 minute before removing the pan from the heat.
- Allow the syrup to cool for 15 minutes before removing the mint leaves and bottling the syrup.
- Save the extra syrup for future mint juleps!
Prepare the starfruit pineapple puree:
- In a blender add the chopped pineapple and starfruit and blend until smooth.
- Strain the puree to remove any thicker pieces. You should have 2 ounces of puree - enough puree for two drinks after straining.
Create your julep:
- Muddle 5 mint leaves in the bottom of your serving glass and fill with crushed ice.
- In a shaker add the bourbon, starfruit pineapple puree, mint simple syrup and fill with ice. Shake well.
- Pour the drink into the prepared glass and garnish with fresh mint leaves, chunks of fresh pineapple and sliced starfruit.
Enjoy mint juleps beyond just Derby Day. Enjoy this beverage whenever you need a sweet yet refreshing drink.
Impress friends with this fruity spin-off of the classic drink and see if they can guess how you got that hint of sweetness - cheers!
Nutritional Information for One Serving:
- Calories: 200
- Total Fat: 0g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 0mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 17g
- Dietary Fiber: 1g
- Total Sugars: 14g - Includes 9g Added Sugars
- Protein: 0g
- Vitamin D: 0mcg
- Calcium: 10mg
- Iron: 0.1mg
- Potassium: 80mg
Don’t forget to show us how you’re making your starfruit pineapple mint julep on Instagram @FruitStandcom! Nothing makes us happier than when we see you enjoying your fruit. Each time you share your FruitStand experience, you’re supporting small farmers and helping other fruit geeks discover rare and delicious produce sustainably. Try even more starfruit recipes from your FruitStand fam on our blog!