Jackfruit is an amazingly versatile fruit that can be used to substitute meat in many vegan and vegetarian recipes. This pulled jackfruit recipe is a great way to fill that hankering for a delicious pulled pork, but much healthier.
You can use this recipe to make sandwiches, tacos, or simply as a plated meal... it's up to you! We think you're going to love it.
Vegan BBQ Pulled Jackfruit Recipe
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Servings: 4
- Good for: kid-friendly, main meals, parties, gluten-free, vegan
- Difficulty: easy
Need a meatless meal option? Vegan BBQ pulled jackfruit is the answer! It’s spicy, savory and resembles the texture of pulled pork. Whip up the easy vegan pulled jackfruit recipe for a quick and delicious lunch or dinner.
- 4 cups jackfruit (three 14 ounce cans of jackfruit in water)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ⅔ cup BBQ sauce
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1 small jalapeno (about 2 tablespoons chopped)
- Cutting board
- Large mixing bowl
- Small mixing bowl
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Large pan
Prepare the jackfruit:
- Drained the canned jackfruit and remove and discard the core of the fruit. The core is the hard part of the fruit and is solid to the touch compared to the rest of the fruit that shreds easily.
- Mix the brown sugar, garlic powder, paprika, cumin, chili powder, salt and ground black pepper in a small bowl.
- Add the chopped jackfruit to a large mixing bowl and pour the spice mix on top. Mix well.
Cook the jackfruit:
- Heat a large pan over medium heat and add the olive oil and spiced jackfruit. Cook for a few minutes to achieve some color.
- Add the BBQ sauce, water and dijon mustard. Mix well to incorporate.
- Cover the pan and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
- After simmering for 20 minutes, take the cover off the pan and turn the heat up to medium. Add the chopped jalapeno and cook an additional 10 minutes. This will help the jackfruit dry up and brown more to look like pulled pork.
Serve warm on toasted buns with coleslaw for vegan sloppy joes or create your own sandwich with your favorite sandwich toppings!
Nutritional Information for One Serving:
- Calories: 150
- Total Fat: 3.5g
- Saturated Fat: 0g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
- Sodium: 950mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 27g
- Dietary Fiber: 8g
- Total Sugars: 14g - Includes 10g Added Sugars
- Protein: 0g
- Vitamin D: 0mcg
- Calcium: 110mg
- Iron: 2.1mg
- Potassium: 50mg
Don’t forget to show us how you’re making your vegan BBQ pulled jackfruit on Instagram @FruitStandcom! Nothing makes us happier than when we see you enjoying your fruit. Each time you share your FruitStand experience, you’re supporting small farmers and helping other fruit geeks discover rare and delicious produce sustainably. Try even more jackfruit recipes from your FruitStand fam on our blog!