When you need a stunning side dish in the cooler weather months try this winter citrus salad with our juicy, sweet oro balanco grapefruit and cara cara oranges. It’ll knock the socks off your guests with its vibrant flavors and colors.
While winter may seem cold and bleak, this salad is anything but! It’s full of citrus flavor, peppery arugula and creamy feta cheese. Drizzle the zesty balsamic avocado dressing on top to complete the salad and bon appetite!
Winter Citrus Salad Recipe
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Servings: 5
- Good for: side dishes, salads, parties, gluten-free, vegan options
- Difficulty: easy
Juicy oro blanco grapefruit and cara cara oranges sit on a bed of arugula tossed with pecans, red onions and feta cheese. Drizzle the zesty balsamic dressing on top for the perfect winter salad to brighten up any cold day. To make the salad vegan, omit the feta cheese.
For the salad:
- 5 oz container arugula
- 1 oro blanco grapefruit peeled and sliced or segmented
- 2 cara cara oranges peeled and sliced or segmented
- 1 sliced avocado
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
For the dressing:
- ¼ cup avocado oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 ½ tablespoons lemon juice
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cutting board
- Measuring cups
- Measuring spoons
- Salad serving bowl
- Bowl for vinaigrette
Prepare the citrus fruits:
- Remove the peel of the fruit with a knife and discard.
- Slice any remaining white membrane of the oranges and grapefruit.
- Segment the fruit into wedges by slicing at an angle where each membrane runs down the fruit to remove a section of the fruit. Or slice the fruit crosswise into circles.
- Or instead of segmenting the fruit, make it easy and peel the fruit as usual and slice it into circles or wedges. You’ll have more of the membrane, but that’s fine!
Prepare the zesty balsamic avocado dressing:
- Whisk together the avocado oil, balsamic vinegar and lemon juice. Salt and pepper to taste.
Prepare the salad:
- Place the arugula in a large salad bowl.
- Arrange the oranges, grapefruit and avocado slices in the bowl and lay the red onion on top.
- Sprinkle the pecans on top with the crumbled feta cheese.
- Drizzle the dressing over the salad and enjoy!
Serve this salad as a side dish to a main meal or turn it into the main meal by adding more protein with beans, chicken or balsamic tofu.
Nothing says eat the rainbow quite like this salad, so whip up this healthy and tasty dish next time you need a quick, healthy meal.
Nutritional Information for One Serving:
- Calories: 290
- Total Fat: 23g
- Saturated Fat: 4.5g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Cholesterol: 15mg
- Sodium: 150mg
- Total Carbohydrate: 19g
- Dietary Fiber: 5g
- Total Sugars: 11g - Includes 0g Added Sugars
- Protein: 5g
- Vitamin D: 0.1mcg
- Calcium: 160mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Potassium: 450mg
Don’t forget to show us how you’re making your winter citrus salad on Instagram @FruitStandcom! Nothing makes us happier than when we see you enjoying your fruit. Each time you share your FruitStand experience, you’re supporting small farmers and helping other fruit geeks discover rare and delicious produce sustainably. Try even more oro blanco grapefruit and cara cara orange recipes from your FruitStand fam on our blog!